Environmental Health and Safety Assessment and Planning Working Group
In March 2019, Provost and Vice Chancellor for Academic Affairs Susan R. Wente and Vice Chancellor for Administration Eric Kopstain charged the Environmental Health and Safety Assessment and Planning Working Group to assess the current status and plan for the advancement of environmental health and safety at Vanderbilt University.
Goals of the working group include planning for an institution-wide laser safety program, compiling inventories of lab and non-lab spaces and equipment, and defining required training for university personnel. Additionally, the group will define and implement reporting and key performance indicators (KPIs) to monitor environmental health and safety and identify primary points of contact for ownership of Vanderbilt Environmental Health and Safety business relationships.
The working group is chaired by Vice Provost for Research Padma Raghavan and Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities Mike Perez. Director of Sustainability and Environmental Management Andrea George is the working group project lead. The group consists of faculty from diverse disciplines and staff from across the university.
Members of the EHS Assessment and Planning Working Group
- Aaron Covey: Facility Analyst, Office of the Dean of Arts and Sciences
- Larry Cox: ESB Building Manager for VPR/VUSE
- Peter Cummings: Associate Dean for Research for VUSE
- Andrea George: Director of Sustainability and Environmental Management
- Jane Hirtle: Senior Research Projects Manager for VPR
- Doug Horr: Associate Vice Chancellor for Audit, Risk and Advisory Services
- Shane Hutson: Chair of Physics and Astronomy for A&S
- Duco Jansen: Senior Associate Dean for Graduate Education and Faculty Affairs for VUSE
- Ruth Nagareda: Manager of Compliance for Audit, Risk and Advisory Services
- Mike Perez: Associate Vice Chancellor for Facilities
- Padma Raghavan: Vice Provost for Research
- Chuck Sanders: Associate Dean for Research for SOM-BS-BS and Director of Graduate Studies
- Anthony Tharp: Administrative Director for SOM-BS-BS
- Jennifer Ufnar: Interim Executive Director of Center for Science Outreach
- Johnny Vanderpool: Director of Office of Emergency Preparedness, VUPS
- Kevin Warren: Senior Director of VEHS, VUMC (ex officio member)
- David Wright: Dean of Sciences for A&S