L-POD Strategic Proposal Planning and Coordination
Support the development of large-scale and/or prestigious proposals that represent a strategic funding opportunity for Vanderbilt and whose coordination requires resources beyond those available at the department level. Particular emphasis will be given to supporting projects with trans-institutional themes involving team members from multiple disciplines.
Each project for which Faculty have requested assistance will be reviewed by the L-POD Research Development Program Mangers in consultation with the VURC and VPR. Support will be offered based on current capacity of L-POD resources and alignment of the project with Vanderbilt’s strategic research vision. L-POD will focus primarily on Federally-funded opportunities and will coordinate with Corporate and Foundation Relations and the Center for Technology Transfer and Commercialization on opportunities from Foundation and Industry sponsors.
When a proposal is approved for L-POD Strategic Proposal Planning and Coordination, a consultation meeting will be set up with the PI and the L-POD team to determine which specific L-POD services will be needed for the opportunity. Based on this consultation, the L-POD team will create a project plan agreement that overviews the services that will be offered and outlines the responsible parties for each deliverable.
Range of Services
- Develop checklist of required proposal documents
- Create timeline for proposal development with due dates for necessary milestones
- Organize planning meetings with key collaborators (internal and external), providing conference room and teleconferencing tools
- Communicate with team members and monitor progress towards milestones
Grant Writing Assistance:
- Assist in the conceptual development and writing of the proposal elements such as vision statement, resources description, and plans for management, education, outreach, and data sharing
- Evaluate proposal drafts for clarity of vision, representation of stakeholders, integration across thrusts, and alignment with funding program goals and agency guidelines
- Coordinate a “Red-team” review in which a panel of independent experts from Vanderbilt review the final draft of the proposal and provide critical feedback on the proposal’s strengths and weaknesses based on the merit review criterion for the opportunity
- Organize a “mock site visit”, if applicable, in which all members of proposal present an overview of each component to a panel of reviewers in preparation for a site visit by a funding agency
- Provide assistance with design and conceptual visualizations of proposal figures and diagrams
- Assist in development of tasks/milestones and a deliverable-based budget, if applicable
- Data analysis of institutional metrics (e.g. degree information needed for training programs)
- Connect with examples of previously funded proposals
Requesting L-POD SPPC Support
If you are interested in receiving support from L-POD for a proposal opportunity, please submit a request.
See the Resources page for other available resources on campus for Proposal Development Support